Apple Crumble Bread
This article has not been rated yet.
8 to 10 servings
What could be a better addition to the holiday table than this delicious apple-studded bread? It can accompany the main dish, if you want, or be part of the dessert tray. Or better yet be served as a snack with a cup or tea or glass of milk after all the Thanksgiving guests have gone home.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups peeled, chopped apples , (about 3 medium apples)
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- ground cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Grease a 9 x 5-inch (23 x 13 cm) loaf pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, and baking soda.
- In the container of a blender or food processor, combine the sugar, vegetable oil, eggs, and vanilla. Blend for a minute or two, scraping down the sides once or twice, until the mixture is smooth. Add this to the flour mixture, and stir until the dry ingredients are smoothly combined. Dump in the chopped apples and the walnuts, and stir just to mix. Pour into the prepared baking pan.
- In a small bowl, mash together all the ingredients for the topping with a fork or with your fingers, mixing until it forms sticky crumbs. Sprinkle over top of the batter in the the pan. Bake for 60 to 70 minutes or until the crumbly topping is golden brown and a toothpick poked into the middle of the loaf comes out clean (with no batter clinging to it).
- Remove from the pan and let cool completely on a rack before attempting to slice it.