Almost Illegal Chocolate Gingerbread
Chocolate is the steroid of choice among our Olympians. Added to an already wonderful gingerbread, this chocolate gingerbread is almost too good to be allowed.
- 1 cup strong coffee , (leftover is fine)
- 1 cup butter
- 2 28-g squares unsweetened chocolate
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup corn syrup
- 4 eggs
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- whipped cream , (optional)
- Combine the coffee, butter and unsweetened chocolate squares in a saucepan or microwave-safe bowl. Heat on the stove-top or in the microwave until the chocolate and butter are melted, whisking occasionally.
- Remove from heat and pour into a mixing bowl. Whisk in the brown sugar and corn syrup, then add the eggs, one at a time, and beat until the mixture is smooth. Your child will almost certainly be delighted to stir this mixture for you.
- In a smaller bowl, mix together the flour, baking soda, ginger and cinnamon. Add to the chocolate mixture and beat until the batter is smooth. Pour into a well-greased 9 x 13 in. (22 x 33 cm) pan, and bake at 350°F (180°C) for 40 to 45 minutes, until a toothpick poked into the centre of the cake comes out clean.
- Let cake cool in the pan, then dust with icing sugar and cut into squares to serve. This is best while still fresh (warm even) and is deadly accompanied by a dollop of whipped cream.