Originally published in the Today’s Parent March 2016 issue. Photo by Roberto Caruso.
Slow Cooker Braised BrisketBy Chatelaine
10 hrs 30 min
Brisket is a humble cut of beef—inexpensive and easy to prep. All it asks for in return is a little time. Braised over hours, brisket comes out succulent and tender.
- 2 kg beef brisket , fat trimmed
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 2 onions , diced
- 2 carrots , peeled and diced
- 2 celery stalks , diced
- 3 garlic cloves , sliced
- 900 mL no-salt beef broth
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 3 bay leaves
- hot dog buns , (optional)
- sliced gherkins , or pickles (optional)
- Sprinkle salt over both sides of brisket. Heat an extra-large pan over medium-high. Add oil, then brisket. Cook until browned, 3 to 4 min per side. Transfer to a slow cooker.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add onions, carrots, celery and garlic to pan. Cook, stirring often, until soft,
5 to 6 min. Stir in beef broth, tomato paste and bay leaves, using a wooden spoon to scrape any brown bits from bottom of pan. Bring to a boil, then pour mixture over brisket.
- Cover and cook on low until brisket is tender, about 10 hours. Transfer brisket to a cutting board and slice thinly. Dip sliced brisket in jus before serving in hot dog buns with gherkins.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 68 g,
- 8 g,
- 25 g,
- 2 g,
- 713 mg.