Originally published in the Today’s Parent March 2016 issue. Photo by Roberto Caruso.
Slow Cooker Baked BeansBy Chatelaine
This article has not been rated yet.
14 hrs 10 min
A big batch of baked beans made in the slow cooker yields a few meals—use them in tacos, over rice or along with eggs and toast.
- 2 cups dried navy beans , rinsed
- 3/4 cup water
- 4 slices bacon , finely chopped
- 1/3 cup fancy molasses
- 1/3 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Cover navy beans with 2 in. of water in a slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 10 hours. If beans are not yet soft, cover and continue to cook on low until tender, 4 to 6 more hours.
- Drain any excess liquid. Stir in water, bacon, molasses, ketchup, Dijon, onion powder and salt. Cover and cook on low until beans are saucy and thickened, about 4 hours.
- Serve over toast or baked potatoes. Beans will keep well, covered and refrigerated, for up to 3 days.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 16 g,
- 60 g,
- 9 g,
- 12 g,
- 608 mg.