Slow-Cooked Italian Steaks with Polenta
This article has not been rated yet.
Outside round beef roast is a budget-friendly cut that can be transformed into tender, flavour-packed steaks. Prep the ingredients, pop into your slow cooker before you leave in the morning, and dinner will be ready when you get home.
outside round beef roast
700-mL jar spicy or regular
Italian herb seasoning
1-kg tube cooked
- Slice beef into thick, single-serving-size steaks. Sprinkle both sides with salt and pepper. Pour pasta sauce into bowl of a slow cooker. Stir in Italian seasoning. Add beef and spoon sauce overtop.
- Cover and cook until beef is very tender, 4 – 5 1⁄2 hours on high or 8-10 hours on low. Slice polenta into thick rounds and lay over beef for the last 20 minutes of cooking to heat through. Place beef and polenta on plates. Generously spoon sauce overtop.
- In a serving: 477 calories, 39.5 g protein, 14.1 g fat, 49.2 g carbohydrates, 3.4 g dietary fibre, 84 mcg folate, 4.6 mg iron, 6.9 mg zinc
- If making ahead: Don’t add polenta. Cover and refrigerate up to 3 days or freeze up to 3 months. When ready to serve, reheat beef mixture, then add polenta and continue cooking until warm.
- Even fancier! If your family’s taste buds will allow, crank up the sophistication by adding 1 tbsp (15 mL) drained capers or 2 minced anchovies along with the pasta sauce. After cooking is complete, stir in 1⁄2 cup (125 mL) pesto.