Red-Cooked Pork Sandwiches
* PLUS Cooking time: 10 hours
This tender pork dish is delicious over noodles (use some cooking liquid in the sauce). The cooking liquid can even be defatted, frozen and reused to braise pork another day – it only gets richer with use.
, or Chinese rice wine
, (about 1/4-in. thick)
- Combine chicken stock, water, soy sauce, sherry, sesame oil, sugar, garlic, ginger, green onions and star anise in slow cooker and stir to dissolve sugar.
- Add pork, cover slow cooker and cook on low for 10 hrs, turning the pork over midway if it is not fully submerged.
- Remove pork from cooking liquid, cool slightly and pull into large pieces, discarding any fat.
- Skim fat from cooking liquid. Return pork to warm cooking liquid until ready to serve.
- Divide pork between buns and top with green onions and hoisin sauce.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 44 g,
- 30 g,
- 20 g,
- 2 g,
- 651 mg.
Originally published in the Today’s Parent February 2013 issue. Photo by Andrew Grinton.