Originally published in the Today’s Parent November 2016 issue. Photo by Roberto Caruso.
Maple-Bacon French ToastBy Chatelaine
8 hrs 10 min
Want breakfast ready when you get up? This French toast recipe cooks overnight and will greet you in the morning.
- 6 strips bacon , preferably thick cut
- 1 tsp canola oil
- 6 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 2/3 cup brown sugar , divided
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 450-g loaf egg bread , preferably challah, sliced 1 in. thick
- Cook bacon in a non-stick frying pan over medium until it starts to crisp. Let cool slightly.
- Line slow cooker insert with a large piece of parchment. Brush with oil. Twirl bacon strips into nests and arrange on bottom.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs with milk, 1/3 cup brown sugar, vanilla, cinnamon and salt. Dip each bread slice in egg mixture. Create first layer of dipped bread over bacon and sprinkle with remaining brown sugar. Repeat with remaining bread and sugar to make 2 to 3 layers, depending on size of slow cooker. Cover and cook for 8 hours on low.
- Preheat broiler. Use oven mitts to lift parchment out of slow cooker. Flip French toast, bacon-side up, onto a baking sheet. Broil the whole thing in centre of oven until bacon is crisp, about 2 min. Transfer to a cutting board. Serve with maple syrup.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 19 g,
- 64 g,
- 23 g,
- 2 g,
- 816 mg.