Originally published in the Today’s Parent March + April 2017 issue. Photo by Erik Putz.
Caramelized Onion Pasta CarbonaraBy Best of Bridge
Got an onion-averse kid? Don’t sweat it. After a day in the slow cooker, onions soften up and become super sweet.
- 2 onions , chopped or thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp butter
- 375 g dried spaghetti
- 3 large eggs , lightly beaten
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- black pepper , to taste
- Combine onions, oil and butter in a 4- to 6-quart slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 8 hr or until deep golden, stirring once or twice if you’re around and think of it.
- In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook spaghetti until it’s al dente. Drain, reserving about ½ cup cooking water. Dump drained pasta into the slow cooker and turn it up to high. Drizzle eggs over top and toss with tongs, adding a splash of pasta water to lubricate things, until pasta is saucy and eggs are cooked. Add Parmesan and pepper; toss until heated through. Serve immediately.