Originally published in the Today’s Parent November 2016 issue. Photo by Roberto Caruso.
Apple-Berry Brown BettyBy Chatelaine
This article has not been rated yet.
Turn to your faithful slow-cooker to churn out this comforting brown betty. The pectin in the apple peel will help to thicken the dish.
- 1 600-g pkg frozen mixed berries
- 2 unpeeled apples , cored and coarsely grated
- 3 thick slices stale crusty Italian bread
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter , melted
- Stir berries with apples in slow-cooker insert. Smooth out into an even layer.
- Break bread into pieces and place in a food processor. Pulse until small crumbs form. They should measure 2 cups. In a large bowl, stir bread crumbs with sugar, cinnamon, ginger, salt and butter until combined. Sprinkle crumb mixture evenly over berry mixture.
- Place a clean tea towel, folded in half, between the pot and the lid of the slow cooker to absorb moisture. Cover and cook on high until fruit is hot, about 1 1/2 hours. Serve warm with ice cream.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 3 g,
- 37 g,
- 13 g,
- 5 g,
- 243 mg.