Whole Wheat Couscous Salad with Chickpeas
This article has not been rated yet.
4 to 4 servings
Easy and quick, whole wheat couscous has three times the amount of fibre as regular. Look for it in health food and bulk stores. Chickpeas, like all peas, dried beans and lentils, are chock full of fibre.
- 1 1/4 cups broth , or water
- 1 cup whole wheat couscous
- 1 540-mL can chickpeas , drained and rinsed
- 1 cup diced red sweet pepper
- 1 cup grated carrot
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley , or coriander, or both (optional)
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta
- 1 garlic clove , pressed or minced
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- freshly ground black pepper
- In a medium pot, bring stock or water to a boil. Turn off heat. Add couscous, stir, cover and set aside for 5 minutes.
- In a small bowl, mash garlic and salt together with a fork. Add mustard, oil, lemon juice, balsamic vinegar and pepper. Whisk until smooth and creamy. Fluff the cooked couscous and transfer to a large bowl, adding chickpeas, red pepper, carrot and parsley and/or coriander. Toss to mix with dressing. Arrange on a plate or salad bowl and sprinkle feta cheese on top. (If there’s time, chill for an hour before serving.)