Originally published in the July 2011 issue. Photo by Yvonne Duivenvoorden.
Vegetable and Pasta Salad
This summer vegetable and pasta salad benefits from the smoky flavour of grilled veggies. When feeding a crowd, you can get ahead by preparing the pasta and dressing a day in advance.
- 1 lb penne pasta
- 1 1/2 cups mayonnaise , preferably light
- 1/3 cup white wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp paprika , preferably smoked (optional)
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 3 sweet peppers , preferably a mix of colours
- 2 zucchini
- 2 portobello mushrooms , stems discarded
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 small bunch broccoli , trimmed and cut into florets
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil, then add pasta. Cook until al dente, about 10 minutes. Drain, rinse with cold water and drain well again. If making ahead, toss lightly with vegetable oil. Cover and refrigerate up to 1 day.
- In a large bowl, whisk mayo with vinegar, paprika and salt until smooth. If making ahead, cover and refrigerate up to 2 days.
- Meanwhile, preheat barbecue to medium. Cut vegetables (except broccoli) into large chunky pieces. Drizzle with oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Toss to mix evenly.
- Wrap broccoli in aluminum foil. Oil grill. Place vegetables on grill and barbecue with lid open, turning occasionally until tender – 15 minutes for broccoli and 6-10 minutes for other vegetables.
- Remove to a cutting board. When cool enough to handle, coarsely chop all vegetables and add to pasta. Drizzle dressing overtop and toss to mix.
- Enjoy room temperature or cold. Covered and refrigerated, this pasta salad will keep well for up to 2 days.
Nutrition (per ½ cup)
- 2 g,
- 14 g,
- 5 g,
- 1 g,