Sweet Potato Pancakes
A brilliant variation on regular potato pancakes, this is a great way to get your kids hooked on sweet potatoes.
- 2 medium sweet potatoes , peeled and coarsely grated
- 2 green onions , finely chopped
- 2 eggs , lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- vegetable oil , for frying
- sour cream , salsa or applesauce for dipping
- In a large bowl, combine the sweet potatoes, green onions, eggs, flour, salt and pepper. Mix thoroughly.
- Pour enough vegetable oil into a large skillet to thickly coat the bottom. Place over medium heat just until a drop of water sizzles when it hits the pan. Add the sweet potato mixture to the hot oil by heaping spoonfuls about 1 in (2 cm) apart. Press each pancake lightly so that it sticks together.
- Cook about 2 minutes per side, turning over once, until brown and crisp on both sides and the sweet potatoes are tender right through. (Taste one to make sure they’re done.) Remove to a paper-towel-lined baking sheet and place in a 300°F (150°C) oven to keep warm while you cook the rest of the pancakes.
- Serve hot with sour cream, salsa or applesauce as an accompaniment.