Sweet Potato Biscuits
This article has not been rated yet.
Contributed by Jennifer Harris, Nepean, Ontario Runner-Up in the Muffin and Quick Bread Contest, savoury quick breads category.
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp ground allspice
- 1 cup mashed cooked sweet potato , (about 1 large)
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3 tbsp butter , melted
- Preheat the oven to 425°F (220°C). Spray two baking sheets with non-stick vegetable oil spray.
- In a large bowl, combine the all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and allspice. Stir until mixed.
- In another bowl, mix together the mashed sweet potato, buttermilk and melted butter. Add the sweet potato mixture to the flour mixture and stir until combined—the dough will be soft and sticky.
- Scoop dough by 1/4 cup (50 mL) spoonfuls onto the prepared baking sheets, leaving room between them for expansion. Bake for about 15 minutes, or until golden.