Spicy Corn Relish
This article has not been rated yet.
Spoon it onto a burger or into tacos, serve it as a side dish with chicken or eat it, plain, right out of the container when no one is looking.
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 medium onions , chopped
- 2 fresh jalapeno peppers , chopped (or more, or less, to taste)
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp crumbled dried oregano
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 cups raw corn kernels , (cut from 6 to 8 cobs)
- 2 red or green sweet peppers , chopped
- 1 cup chopped cilantro
- Sprinkle the ground cumin into a large saucepan or Dutch oven. Place over medium heat and toast, stirring constantly, until fragrant but not scorched – 1 or 2 minutes. Add the onions, jalapeno peppers, vinegar, sugar, oregano and salt. Bring to a boil, then let simmer for 5 minutes, stirring once or twice.
- Add the corn kernels and chopped sweet peppers, stir and bring to a boil. Cook for another 5 minutes, stirring once or twice, or until the corn is cooked through. Remove from heat and let cool for a few minutes. Stir in the cilantro and refrigerate until chilled.
- Pack into containers and freeze. Defrost completely before devouring.