Originally published in the Today’s Parent October 2014 issue. Photo by Maya Visnyei.
Rustic Kale and Bacon StuffingBy Eshun Mott
This article has not been rated yet.
10 adult servings
Add a new spin to classic stuffing with this easy and delicious rustic dressing.
- 1 loaf Italian bread , (about 400 g)
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter , divided
- 170 g double-smoked bacon , chopped (about 1 cup packed)
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 large tart apple , peeled, cored and diced (about 1 3/4 cups)
- 1 tbsp chopped garlic
- 1/2 tsp hot-pepper flakes
- 1 bunch kale , stems and mid-rib romved, coarsely chopped (about 8 cups packed)
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 1 tbsp chopped rosemary
- 1 1/4 cups sodium-free chicken broth
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Use a serrated knife to trim most of the crust from the outside of loaf, then cut into 3⁄4-in. cubes (you should have about 14 cups). Place bread on a baking sheet in a single layer and bake for 15 min, tossing occasionally, or until dry and lightly toasted. Set aside to cool.
- Melt 1 tbsp butter in a large frying pan on medium heat. Add bacon and sauté for 3 min, or until fat has rendered. Add onion and apple and sauté for 2 min to soften. Add garlic and chili flakes and sauté 1 min longer.
- Turn heat to high and add kale to pan in batches, sautéing for 3 min, or until wilted. Remove from heat.
- In a large bowl, combine toasted bread with kale mixture, parsley and rosemary, and add enough chicken stock to soften bread slightly.
- Use 1 tbsp butter to grease an 8 x 10-in. casserole dish. Transfer dressing into pan in an even layer and dot with remaining 1 tbsp butter.
- Bake for 30 min or until dressing is heated through and top is crispy.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 6 g,
- 24 g,
- 6 g,
- 2 g,
- 312 mg.