Pickled Roasted Sweet Peppers
This article has not been rated yet.
4 to 4 servings
These make a great side dish for barbecues.
- 4 red, yellow or orange sweet peppers
- 2 garlic cloves , cut into slivers
- 1 tsp mixed pickling spices
- 2/3 cup white vinegar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tsp salt
- First, roast and peel the red peppers. Remove the seeds and cut lengthwise into 1 in (2 cm) strips.
- Prepare a 1 quart (1 L) canning jar (or a couple of 500 mL jars) by washing thoroughly, then rinsing well in hot water.
- Pack the roasted pepper strips into the prepared jar (or jars), sprinkling layers with the slivered garlic and pickling spices as you go. Combine the vinegar, sugar, water and salt in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat, then pour into the jar with the peppers, making sure everything is immersed in the vinegar solution. Cover tightly and refrigerate for about 1 week before using.
- Alternatively, the jarred peppers can be processed in a boiling water bath (see general directions, below) for 10 minutes. Let cool until lids snap shut. Any jars that don’t seal properly should be refrigerated, where they’ll keep for at least a couple of months – if they don’t get eaten first.