This article has not been rated yet.
Or is it? Tomatoes or no tomatoes? Garlic or no garlic? Chunky? Smooth? Somewhere in between? Here’s my recipe – go ahead and have your way with it.
- 2 large ripe avocados
- 1/2 small red onion , finely chopped
- 1 medium tomato , seeded and finely chopped
- 1 fresh jalapeno pepper , seeded and finely chopped (optional)
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin , or to taste
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Cut the avocados in half and remove the pits. Hold one half in your hand, flesh side up, and with a sharp knife cut through the soft flesh just to (but not through) the skin, in a criss-cross pattern. Scoop out the whole business with a spoon into a bowl. (Pre-chunked avocado – no messy chopping required!) Repeat with remaining avocado halves.
- Add the onion, tomato, jalapeno pepper (if you’re using it), lime juice, cumin, cilantro and salt. Toss gently if you like your guacamole chunky, or mash slightly with a fork if you want it a bit smoother. In any case, don’t over-mash – you want to leave some texture.
- Serve with shrimp, fajitas or just with tortilla chips. Addictive and wonderful.