Maple-Glazed Sweet Potatoes and Apples
8 to 10 servings
If you've only ever eaten sweet potatoes buried under a layer of marshmallows, this dish will be a wonderful surprise. A perfect combination of everything good; sweet potatoes, apples, maple syrup, butter; it's one of our favourite Thanksgiving dinner traditions.
- 1.5 kg sweet potatoes , peeled and thinly sliced
- 680 g apple , peeled, cored and thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup apple juice , or cider
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Preheat the oven to 370°F (190°C). Grease a 9 x 13-inch (23 x 33 cm) rectangular baking dish.
- In the prepared baking dish, layer the sweet potatoes and apples alternately – beginning and ending with sweet potatoes (3 layers of sweet potatoes and two layers of apples).
- In a small saucepan or microwave-safe measuring cup, combine the maple syrup, apple juice, butter and salt. Heat until the butter is melted, then stir to mix. Pour evenly over the sweet potatoes and apples in the baking dish, then cover dish with foil wrap and bake for one hour.
- Remove the baking dish from the oven, and take off the foil. Tip the dish up slightly and spoon the liquid over the layers of potatoes and apples. Reduce the oven temperature to 350°F (180°C) and place the pan back into the oven. Let bake, uncovered, basting with the liquid two or three times, for for an additional 45 minutes to one hour. The liquid should be thickened and syrupy and the potatoes and apples are very tender.