This article has not been rated yet.
This fragrant rice and split pea dish acquaints kids with the complex spices of India and is mild enough even for beginners. Serve as a side or main dish.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 1/4 cups brown rice
- 1/2 cup dried yellow split peas
- 1/2 cup diced carrot
- 1/2 onion , finely diced
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 3 1/4 cups chicken broth , or vegetable broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/3 cup shelled pistachios , or cashew pieces (optional)
- In a heavy saucepan, heat olive oil over medium-low heat. Add rice, split peas, carrot and onion. Stir until onion turns translucent, about 4 minutes. Add cloves, cinnamon, cumin and curry powder, and cook, stirring, until spices are fragrant (about 1 minute). Add stock, bay leaf and nuts, if using.
- Bring to boil, uncovered. Stir. Reduce heat to simmer, cover and cook 50 minutes or until rice is tender. Turn off heat and fluff with a fork. Re-cover and allow to steam 5 minutes longer. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Remove bay leaf before serving.