Jutta's Sweet and Sour Potato Salad
4 to 6 servings
This unusual potato salad is always instantly devoured whenever it shows up at a potluck dinner. Not only is it deadly delicious, but it's also more picnic-safe than the usual mayonnaise-laden kind.
- 1 kg potatoes , peeled (depending on variety) and cut into 1/2-in. cubes (about 4 cups)
- 2 medium onions , chopped
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup chopped dill pickles , (or another type)
- 1/4 cup vinegar , (white or cider)
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar , (or less, if you prefer)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Cook the potatoes in whatever way you usually do. For potato salad, I like to cook them in a vegetable steamer over boiling water – they absorb less water and don’t get quite as mushy. Dump into a mixing bowl.
- Meanwhile, in a medium skillet, sauté the onions in the vegetable oil over medium heat until very soft and golden brown. This will take about 10 minutes.
- Add to the potatoes, then add the chopped pickles. (If your child has been helping you, you may want to double-check the pickle quantity to make sure he hasn’t eaten most of them.)
- In a very small saucepan (or in a measuring cup in the microwave), combine the vinegar, water, sugar, salt and pepper. Heat mixture until it just comes to a boil, stirring to dissolve sugar. Pour the hot liquid into the potato mixture. Now, this will seem like too much liquid for the amount of potatoes. It isn’t – trust me. As the salad cools, it will absorb the dressing.
- Let cool to room temperature (at least) or refrigerate before serving.