Indispensable Biscuit Mix
Don't even try camping without a batch of this. Besides being crucial for Snaky Bread and Orange Muffins, it makes great bannock, excellent pancakes and it's handy for breading all those fish you (hope to) catch. Use it exactly the same way you'd use commercial biscuit mix.
- 8 1/2 cups all-purpose flour , (all white or half white and half whole wheat)
- 3 tbsp baking powder
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp cream of tartar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 cups skim milk powder
- 454 g solid vegetable shortening
- In a huge bowl, stir together all the dry ingredients until you’re sure they’re well mixed. A small camper, armed with a whisk or a wooden spoon, can be assigned this critical task.
- Using a pastry blender or two knives, cut the shortening into the flour mixture until it resembles coarse meal. This can also be done in batches in a food processor – just make sure you divide the ingredients equally, and don’t over-process.
- Store the mixture at room temperature in a tightly covered container and don’t forget to bring it camping.