Grilled Chicken and Tortellini Caesar
This article has not been rated yet.
If you want to make a meatless version of this chicken and tortellini salad caesar salad, just axe the chicken and double the tortellini.
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- 1 250-g pkg fresh cheese tortellini , (uncooked)
- 2 tomatoes , cut into 1/2-in. cubes
- 1 medium cucumber , cut into 1/2-in. cubes
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion , (optional)
- 1/4 cup black or green olives , sliced and pitted (optional)
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan
- 1/2 cup olive oil , or vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 garlic clove , (or more), squished
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp canned anchovies , minced (optional)
- salt , to taste
- black pepper , to taste
- Early in the day, or even the night before, combine the chicken breasts with the 2 tbsp. (30mL) olive oil, lemon juice, and garlic salt. Refrigerate until about two hours before you plan to eat. Then drain and grill on the barbecue over medium heat, until cooked through -turning them over at least once, and brushing with the marinade halfway through. If you don’t have a barbecue, you can broil the chicken on a rack in the oven, or even quickly fry it over medium heat on a lightly greased skillet on the stove. Refrigerate until cool.
- Cook the tortellini according to package directions. Drain, rinse under cold water and drain again thoroughly. Dump into a large bowl.
- Cut up the tomatoes, cucumber, olives and onion and add them to the tortellini, along with the chicken (cut into ½ in./1cm cubes). Call your helper and have her toss it all again. Even a younger child can be gainfully employed to do this deceptively simple and critical task.
- In a jar with a screw-on lid, combine all the dressing ingredients and shake until thoroughly mixed. Toss the salad with the dressing -adding just a bit at a time, until it’s dressed to your taste. (Any leftover dressing can be kept in the refrigerator for up to 3 days).
- Sprinkle the salad with the Parmesan cheese, toss and serve immediately. If you want to hold the salad for a couple of hours (to take to a picnic or something), keep the dressing separate (and chilled), and add it just before serving.