Good Old Strawberry Jam
This article has not been rated yet.
7 to 7 servings
Everyone's favourite! Using light or low-sugar pectin in this recipe will result in a less-sweet, more deliciously strawberry-loaded spread.
- 6 cups strawberries , hulled, sliced and crushed
- 4 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 49-g pkg light pectin crystals
- First, put the sugar into a bowl. Remove ¼ cup (50 mL) of the sugar and, in another small bowl, stir it together with the pectin crystals. Set both of these bowls aside.
- Now dump the prepared fruit into a large saucepan. Add the small bowl with the sugar-pectin mixture and stir to combine. Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring constantly. When it reaches a full rolling boil, add the remaining sugar and cook, stirring constantly, for one minute.
- Remove from heat and ladle immediately into hot, sterilized jars (see Jam Production). Cover with new lids, and screw on the band. Let cool, shaking the jars occasionally to prevent all the fruit from floating to the top as it sets.