Fully Loaded Spanish Rice
This article has not been rated yet.
This Spanish Rice is a real quickie. Add a salad or some steamed fresh vegetables and, hey, it's dinner.
- 500 g lean ground beef , chicken or turkey
- 1 medium onion , chopped
- 1 small green sweet pepper , chopped
- 1 cup uncooked long-grain white rice
- 2 tsp Mexican chili powder , (or less, to taste)
- 1 796-mL can tomatoes , (including the juice), puréed in a blender or food processor
- salt , to taste
- black pepper , to taste
- In a large skillet, combine the ground beef (or whatever), the onion and the green pepper, and cook over medium heat until the meat is no longer pink. Stir with a wooden spoon to break up the clumps as it’s cooking. Drain off any fat (there shouldn’t be much if you’re using lean meat).
- Add the rice, chili powder, pureed tomatoes, and salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat to low, cover and let simmer for 15 to 20 minutes, or until rice is tender but not mushy.