Fettuccine Primavera with Salmon (or not)
This article has not been rated yet.
4 to 4 servings
This can also be made with leftover grilled chicken, if you prefer. Or shrimp. Or throw in some extra veggies (broccoli, asparagus, spinach) and make it totally vegetarian.
- 340 g dry fettuccine pasta
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 small onion , chopped
- 1 medium zucchini , cut into 1/2-in. dice
- 1 1/2 cups quartered fresh mushrooms
- 1 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 cup 10% cream , (or milk)
- 1 medium tomato , diced
- 1/2 cup frozen green peas
- 1 cup cooked salmon , (leftover or drained canned)
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 1 tbsp chopped basil , (or 1 tsp dried)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- grated Parmesan , for sprinkling
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the fettuccine and cook until tender but not mushy. Drain thoroughly and set aside while you prepare the sauce.
- In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring, for about 2 minutes or until just beginning to soften. Add the zucchini and mushrooms and continue to cook until vegetables are tender – about 5 minutes. Add the flour, stir until everything is evenly coated, then add the cream or milk and cook, stirring, until the mixture simmers – let cook for about a minute, until slightly thickened. Stir in the tomato and peas, cook for a minute or two, then add the salmon, parsley, basil, salt and pepper. Cook just until everything is heated through.
- Add the drained pasta to the sauce in the pan, toss to coat evenly and rewarm the pasta, then transfer to a serving dish and serve immediately with Parmesan cheese, if you like. (If you are making this totally vegetarian, you may want to increase the seasoning a bit to boost the flavour.)