Enjoy these tortillas soft and warm, or crisp and crunchy! They're
a great accompaniment. Store soft tortillas in a resealable bag in the refrigerator for up to 3 days; before serving, put in the microwave, or wrap in foil and pop in a 350°F (180°C) oven, until warmed through. Place crisp tortillas in a sturdy container to avoid breakage, allowing air to circulate, for up to 5 days. If you'd prefer to make only 4 flatbreads at a time, simply cut the recipe in half.
whole wheat flour
, dried thyme leaves or ground cumin (your preference!)
1 1/4 cups
- In a large bowl, stir together flour, salt and oregano. Drizzle in butter and oil, and stir until crumbly. Stir in water to form a ragged dough. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until dough comes together. Divide into 8 pieces and roll each into a ball. Cover and let rest for 30 minutes.
- Using a rolling pin on a lightly floured surface, roll each ball into an 8 in (20 cm) circle. Cook on stovetop, in the oven or backyard grill, according to directions below.
- Stovetop: Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium and cook flatbread in the dry pan, 1 at a time, about 3 minutes per side, or until spotted golden on both sides. Wrap in foil to keep soft.
- Oven: Place 2 flatbreads on a large baking sheet and bake in a preheated 425°F (220°C) oven for about 10 minutes or until golden, turning once halfway through. For crisper flatbreads, continue cooking for an additional 5 minutes or until bubbly and crisp. Let cool completely.
- Grill: Cook flatbreads directly on grill preheated to medium for about 6 minutes or until golden and bubbly, turning once.
- Makes 8.
- In 1 flatbread: 208 calories, 6 g protein, 7 g fat, 33 g carbs, 6 g dietary fibre, 20 mg calcium, 2 mg iron