Double Corn Muffins
This article has not been rated yet.
12 to 12 servings
These are loaded with corn flavour and go well with soup, chili or stew.
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 1 1/3 cups buttermilk , or plain yogurt
- 3/4 cup cooked corn kernels , (cut from the cob or defrosted frozen)
- shredded cheese , for sprinkling, if desired
- Preheat the oven to 400º F (200º C). Grease a 12-cup muffin pan or line with paper liners.
- In a large bowl, stir together the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder and salt. In a blender or food processor, combine the buttermilk or yogurt, oil and egg. Blend until smooth. Add the kernels and blend, just for a few seconds, until partly chopped. Some kernels will remain whole – that’s OK. Pour the liquid mixture into the dry one and stir just until mixed. The batter will puff up quite a bit; don’t over-stir or you’ll deflate it. Spoon into the prepared muffin cups, filling them right to the top. If you want, you can sprinkle each unbaked muffin with a little shredded cheese.
- Bake for 18 to 20 minutes, until muffins are very lightly browned. Remove from pan and serve warm.