Crispy Lemon Roast Chicken with Quick Gravy and Zucchini Ribbons
* PLUS Cooking time: 50 minutes
This roast chicken recipe with a quick and easy gravy is given zing via lemon juice and garlic. Serve with fun zucchini noodles—kids will eat these greens.
3 to 4 lbs
, finely grated
For Quick Gravy
, (low-sodium or homemade)
1 to 2 tsp
For Zucchini Ribbons
, or summer squash
, finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Season chicken well with lemon zest, salt and pepper; place skin-side-up in a single layer in a large greased metal roasting pan.
- Roast chicken for 45 minutes or until skin is browned and crisp, and juice run clear. Remove chicken from pan and set in a warm place to rest.
- Meanwhile, make the gravy. carefully pour any juices from the roasting pan into a measuring cup; skim off and discard as much of the fat as you can. Set aside. Place roasting pan in the stove over medium heat. (Keep an oven mitt on your hand at all times while making the gravy as the roasting pan will be hot.) Sprinkle flour into pan and cook for 1 minute, stirring, or until lightly browned.
- Add chicken stock, de-fatted pan juices and lemon juice to the roasting pan; bring to a boil. Scrape with a spatula to incorporate any browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Boil 3 to 4 minutes, or until gravy has thickened. Add soy sauce in desired to make the gravy darker and richer(be aware that it will also add saltiness). Serve gravy with chicken.
- Using a mandoline or vegetable peeler, slice zucchini into long, thin ribbons. Heat olive oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add zucchini and garlic, saute for 2 to 4 minutes or until just slightly softened. Season with salt and pepper, and sprinkle with lemon juice overtop.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 64 g,
- 2 g,
- 16 g,
- 382 mg.