Cheddar Mashed Potatoes
4 to 6 servings
If you're short on time (and who isn't?), make this recipe a day ahead and reheat just before serving.
- 1.4 kg Yukon Gold potatoes
- 8 to 10 bay leaves
- 1 cup 35% cream
- 6 tbsp unsalted butter
- pinch ground nutmeg
- 1 cup cubed aged white cheddar , fontina, Gouda or Emmenthal (1/2-in. cubes)
- Peel the potatoes and cut into chunks. Place in a large pot of salted water. Add bay leaves and boil for 15 minutes or until potatoes pierce easily with a fork.
- While the potatoes are cooking, place the cream and butter in a small pot and warm over low heat.
- Drain potatoes in a colander, discarding bay leaves. Let potatoes air-dry for a few minutes, then push through a ricer while they’re still warm, returning them to the pot (or return air-dried potatoes to the pot and mash with a potato masher). Add nutmeg to taste. Add the hot cream and butter mixture, and incorporate by gently stirring with a wooden spoon.
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Into an ungreased ovenproof 2 L dish, spread about 1 in (2.5 cm) of the mashed potatoes and top with half of the cubed cheese; repeat, finishing with cheese. Place in oven for 35-45 minutes or until heated through.
- Makes 4-6 servings.
- In a serving: 502 calories, 11 g protein, 35 g fat, 38 g carbs, 3 g dietary fibre, 249 mg calcium, 2 mg zinc