Carrot and Sweet Pepper Smithereens Salad
This article has not been rated yet.
4 to 4 servings
Grating carrots is a thankless job. But this is why we have children! Give them a pair of gloves (to prevent shredded fingers) and let them work while you chop the peppers.
- 2 cups shredded carrots , about 3 medium
- 2 red, yellow or green sweet peppers , seeded
- 2 green onions , chopped
- 2 tbsp plain yogurt
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 tsp mustard , (Dijon, if you have it)
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Dump the shredded carrots into a bowl.
- With a sharp knife (adult job!) cut the peppers into the thinnest possible smithereens, about 1 in. (2 cm) long. Add to the shredded carrots, along with the green onions. Have your child toss to mix.
- In a small bowl, mix together the yogurt, mayonnaise, mustard, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Add to the carrot mixture and toss to combine. Warning: Add the dressing to the salad right before you’re ready to serve it, otherwise it will become soggy and liquidy. If you’re picnicking, pack the dressing and salad separately and refrigerate (or keep in the cooler) until just before serving.