Buttercream and Variations
This article has not been rated yet.
2 to 2 servings
Buttercream frosting is classic. Flavour it with vanilla or chocolate, give it a dash of lemon or invent your own creation. It's your frosting now, baby.
- 1/2 cup butter , softened
- 4 cups icing sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 6 to 8 tbsp 35% cream , (or milk, but we like cream better)
- In a medium bowl, with an electric mixer, beat the butter just to soften. Add the icing sugar and the vanilla, beating until creamy. Add the whipping cream, 1 tbsp (15 mL) at a time, beating constantly, until the frosting is as fluffy and creamy as you like.
- Chocolate buttercream: Beat in 4 squares (1 oz./28 g each) unsweetened chocolate, melted, just before you add the whipping cream.
- Orange or lemon buttercream: Substitute orange or lemon extract for the vanilla in the basic recipe. Substitute undiluted concentrated orange juice or lemonade for the whipping cream.