Beautiful Berry Vinegar
This article has not been rated yet.
3 to 3 servings
Pour this colourful salad vinegar into a dollar store bottle or an empty wine bottle, cork it, label it and tie a ribbon around the neck. Perfect.
- 6 cups white wine vinegar , or apple cider vinegar
- 2 cup blueberries , raspberries or strawberries (or a mixture)
- Rinse the berries and put them into a large glass or enamelled container. Mash them slightly (a good kid job) with a potato masher, then add the vinegar and stir to mix. Cover the container and let it sit at room temperature for 1 to 4 days. The vinegar will take on the colour of the berries and absorb some of the flavour.
- When you’re ready to bottle your creation, first strain the big chunks out of the vinegar using an ordinary kitchen strainer. Discard the soggy berries. Then pour the vinegar through a coffee filter to clarify it completely. Pour into clean bottles, and jam corks into the tops.
- Use this vinegar in any regular vinaigrette dressing instead of the usual plain old boring stuff. Include a handwritten (ahem – your cue, kid!) recipe for your favourite dressing along with the bottle of vinegar.