Barbeque Encore Salad
This article has not been rated yet.
Toss leftover barbecue chicken with corn and red peppers into a healthy Southwest salad that kids will actually eat. Jarred chipotle chilies are available in most supermarkets, but if you can't find them, or don't want to use them, simply leave them out.
- 1 romaine heart
- 1 cup canned black beans
- 2 cups chopped cooked chicken
- 2 ears barbecued corn on the con , or 1 1/2 cups cooked corn niblets
- 1 red sweet pepper , preferably grilled
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup yogurt
- 1 clove garlic , minced
- 1-2 tsp minced chipotle chilies in adobo sauce , optional
- 1/2 - 1 tsp Cajun seasoning
- Wash lettuce and pat dry with clean kitchen towels. Tear into bite-sized pieces and place in a big bowl along with the drained beans and chicken. Slice niblets from the cobs of corn, then chop the red pepper. Add to the lettuce mixture.
- In a small bowl, stir mayo with yogurt, garlic, 1 tsp (5 mL) chipotle and 1⁄2 tsp (2 mL) Cajun seasoning. Taste and add more chipotle and seasoning if you wish. Drizzle over lettuce mixture and toss until well coated.
- Makes 2-3 servings.
- In a serving: 505 calories, 37 g protein, 24 g fat, 39 g carbs, 9 g dietary fibre, 132 mg calcium