By Kate Jones, OurBestBites.com
Baked Zucchini Fries
6 to 8 servings (as a side dish)
These baked zucchini fries are an inexpensive, virtually guilt free, and painless way to eat your veggies. The recipes males a great side-dish, appetizer or after-school snack.
- 1 lb zucchini
- 1/2 cup Italian-seasoned panko bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan , (the crumbly stuff, no shreds)
- 2 eggs
- Preheat oven to 425°F Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and spray with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- Combine bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese. Set aside.
- Whisk 2 eggs together in a shallow pie plate and set aside.
- Cut the ends off the zucchini and then cut the zucchini in half so you have two short, stubby pieces. Set one piece on its end and cut it in half lengthwise. Cut that half in half, making 2 planks. Repeat with the remaining halves (so you’ll get 16 planks per zucchini).
- Stack 2 planks on top of each other and cut into strips. Thicker strips will yield “meatier” fries with more zucchini flavor while thin strips will be crispy and taste virtually nothing like zucchini. When all the fries are cut, blot the pieces with a paper towel.
- Working with a small handful at a time, dip the zucchini sticks in the egg, shake them to remove any excess, and then roll them in about 2-3 tablespoons of bread crumbs at a time, adding more as needed; you just don’t want to work with all the bread crumbs at once because they’ll soak up moisture from the egg and won’t stick to the zucchini. Place the coated strips on the prepared baking sheet and repeat until all the zucchini strips have been coated.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes in the prepared oven then remove from oven, flip the fries, and bake for another 1 0-12 minutes or until the zucchini is not soggy and the coating is crisp and golden brown. Serve immediately with Pizza Sauce or Buttermilk Ranch Dressing.