Asian Sesame Broccoli Salad
This article has not been rated yet.
We love the funny crunch that the water chestnuts add to this salad, but some kids might not. Feel free to substitute sliced celery or carrots instead or just leave them out altogether. It's your salad now, baby.
- 4 cups broccoli florets , cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes , halved
- 1 227-mL can sliced water chestnuts
- 2 green onions , cut into 1-in. slivers
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds , (preferably toasted)
- 1/2 tsp salt , (if desired)
- 1/4 tsp hot hot-pepper flakes , (optional)
- Place the broccoli flowerets in a steamer basket over boiling water. Cover and steam for 2 to 3 minutes or just until the colour brightens and the broccoli is very lightly cooked. Dump into a colander and rinse under cold running water to stop the cooking immediately. Drain thoroughly and place in a bowl. Add the cherry tomatoes, water chestnuts and green onions.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the sesame oil, vegetable oil, rice vinegar and soy sauce. Pour over the vegetables in the bowl and toss to mix. Sprinkle in the sesame seeds, salt (if needed) and hot pepper flakes (if you’re using them). Toss again.
- Salad can be served immediately but it also holds well, refrigerated, for several hours.