Apple Pear Chutney
This article has not been rated yet.
Get your child to help you chop up all the ingredients and dump them into a pot. Less than an hour later - bingo! - you have a lovely batch of chutney to share (or not).
- 2 large apples , peeled, cored and chopped
- 2 large pears , peeled, cored and chopped
- 2 large onions , finely chopped
- 1 red sweet pepper , finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cups cider vinegar
- 1 cup golden raisins
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh ginger
- 1 tsp dry mustard
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp hot-pepper flakes , (or more, or less, or none)
- Combine all the ingredients in a large pot. Bring to a boil over medium heat, then lower the heat and let simmer, stirring often, for 40 to 50 minutes or until thickened. (It’s ready when the mixture becomes thick enough that the bottom of the pot appears when you run a spoon through it. You’ll know what I mean when it happens.)
- Pour the hot chutney into clean glass jars with tight-fitting lids. Make fancy labels (Mommy’s Yukky Apel Pear Chuntney) and store in the refrigerator. It will keep for several weeks – unless you give it away or eat it all yourself.