Vegetable and Shrimp Tempura
- 1 lb large shrimp , peeled, tail left on if desired
- vegetable oil , for deep frying
- 1 lb sweet potato , peeled, sliced about 1/8-in. thick
- 1 large red sweet pepper , cut into long strips
- 170 g green beans , stemmed and ends trimmed
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups cold soda water
- Drain any liquid from shrimp and pat dry. Prepare vegetables. Set aside.
- Pour vegetable oil into a heavy pot to a depth of about 2 in. and place over medium-high heat.
- Combine flour, cornstarch, baking powder and salt in a bowl. Whisk in soda water until just combined.
- When oil temperature has reached 350°F (a cube of bread will turn golden in about 15 sec.), working in batches, add a few shrimp or vegetables to batter; transfer to oil (chopsticks work especially well) and fry for 2 min or until golden and cooked through. Continue until everything has been fried. Remove to paper towels to drain.
- Serve immediately with soy sauce (and wasabi for the grown-ups).