Originally published in the Today’s Parent November/December 2019 issue. Photo by Erik Putz.
Tuna cakes with tartar sauceBy Chatelaine
Get dinner on a dime with these quick and easy-to-make tuna cakes. Bonus: a super simple recipe for a homemade tartar sauce. Score!
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup plain bread crumbs
- 2 170-g cans chunk tuna , in water, drained
- 1/4 cup finely chopped celery
- 1/4 cup corn kernels
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp olive oil , divided
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 green onion , thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp relish
1. Beat eggs in a medium bowl. Stir in bread crumbs, then mash in tuna. Stir in celery, corn, mayo, 1 tbsp oil, Dijon and onion until combined. Season with pepper, if desired.
2. Scoop 1/3 cup tuna mixture and form into patty about 1/2 in. thick. Repeat with remaining tuna mixture to make 8 patties.
3. Heat a large non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Add remaining 1 tbsp oil. Place 4 patties in pan. Cook until golden, about 3 min per side. Repeat with remaining patties.
4. To make tartar sauce, stir mayo with lemon juice and relish in a small bowl. Season with pepper.
5. Serve tuna cakes with tartar sauce and
a side salad, if desired.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 17 g,
- 14 g,
- 31 g,
- 1 g,
- 481 mg.
- Excellent source of
- vitamin b12