Originally published in the Today’s Parent Summer 2017 issue. Photo by Erik Putz.
Shrimp and Coconut Rice BowlBy Chatelaine
Plump shrimp, ripe avocado, strips of ginger and protein-rich edamame get cozy in a bowl full of steamy rice.
- 3 cups unsweetened coconut water or water
- 1 cup short-grain brown rice , rinsed
- 2 tsp coconut oil
- 4 tsp each rice vinegar and sodium-reduced soy sauce
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 6 slices fresh ginger
- 1 ½ cups frozen shelled edamame
- 400-g pkg large frozen peeled raw shrimp , thawed
- 1 avocado , halved, pitted, peeled and sliced
- fresh cilantro leaves
- ⅓ cup pickled ginger, nori and sesame seeds , optional
- Add coconut water and rice to a saucepan over medium-high. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, cover and simmer until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed, 35 to 40 min. Stir in coconut oil, then let stand, covered.
- Meanwhile, whisk together rice vinegar, soy sauce and sesame oil. Set aside.
- Boil 1 L water and ginger in a shallow saucepan. Add edamame and cook until tender, about 3 min. Using a slotted spoon, transfer edamame to a bowl and set aside.
- Reduce heat to medium and poach shrimp in ginger water until pink and cooked through, 2 min. Drain on a paper towel and set aside.
- Divide rice among four bowls. Top with edamame, shrimp, avocado, cilantro, and pickled ginger, nori and sesame seeds, if desired. Drizzle with soy sauce mixture.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 30 g,
- 54 g,
- 18 g,
- 9 g,
- 381 mg.
- Good source of