Shrimp and Coconut Rice Bowl
Photo: Erik Putz
Plump shrimp, ripe avocado, strips of ginger and protein-rich edamame get cozy in a bowl full of steamy rice.
unsweetened coconut water or
each rice vinegar and sodium-reduced
1 ½ cups
large frozen peeled raw
, halved, pitted, peeled and sliced
pickled ginger, nori and
- Add coconut water and rice to a saucepan over medium-high. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, cover and simmer until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed, 35 to 40 min. Stir in coconut oil, then let stand, covered.
- Meanwhile, whisk together rice vinegar, soy sauce and sesame oil. Set aside.
- Boil 1 L water and ginger in a shallow saucepan. Add edamame and cook until tender, about 3 min. Using a slotted spoon, transfer edamame to a bowl and set aside.
- Reduce heat to medium and poach shrimp in ginger water until pink and cooked through, 2 min. Drain on a paper towel and set aside.
- Divide rice among four bowls. Top with edamame, shrimp, avocado, cilantro, and pickled ginger, nori and sesame seeds, if desired. Drizzle with soy sauce mixture.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 30 g,
- 54 g,
- 18 g,
- 9 g,
- 381 mg.
- Good source of
Originally published in the Today’s Parent Summer 2017 issue. Photo by Erik Putz.