Modern Tuna Casserole
5 to 6 servings
Although we've ditched the traditional can of mushroom soup, this updated tuna casserole recipe is every bit as quick to prepare - and just as comforting to eat.
- 3/4 pkg short pasta , such as fusilli, rotini or penne (about 500 g dry)
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 1 398 mL can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup salsa , (mild, medium or hot)
- 2 cups Tex-Mex shredded cheese blend , divided
- 1/4 cup pitted black olive oil , such as kalamata, sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 2 can solid tuna , drained
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook according to package directions. Drain.
- Place corn, tomatoes, salsa, 1 cup (250 mL) of the cheese, olives and cilantro in a 9 x 13 in (3 L) casserole dish. Stir to mix. Add drained pasta and tuna to the casserole dish. Gently stir to combine. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake in preheated oven until hot, about 20 minutes. Serve with chipotle hot sauce for those who like spicy food.
- In a serving: 577 calories, 33 g protein, 15 g fat, 78 g carbs, 6 g dietary fibre, 308 mg calcium, 5 mg iron