Originally published in the Today’s Parent July/August 2019 issue. Photo by Carmen Cheung.
Hash-brown waffles with smoked salmon and sour creamBy Chatelaine
Start your mornings right with these savoury waffles (crisped to perfection in a waffle iron) topped with smoked salmon and sour cream.
- 16 frozen hash-brown patties , thawed and torn (about 9 cups)
- 3 green onions , chopped
- 1 small onion , thinly sliced
- 2 eggs , lightly beaten
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp each salt and pepper
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp butter , melted
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 113-g pkgs smoked salmon
- 1 tbsp chopped chives
- Pulse hash browns in a food processor until crumbled. Transfer to a large bowl, then stir in green onions, onion, eggs, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Sprinkle in flour and stir until just combined.
- Place a wire rack over a baking sheet and set aside.
- Preheat waffle iron to medium-high, then brush top and bottom plates with butter. Mound each waffle section with ½ cup packed potato mixture. Close waffle iron and cook until browned and crispy, 10 to 12 min.
- Transfer waffles to prepared rack. Repeat with remaining potato mixture. Store in a sealable container and refrigerate for up to 5 days or serve warm topped with sour cream, smoked salmon and chives.
Reheat waffles in a regular toaster or toaster oven for about 1 min.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 10 g,
- 56 g,
- 10 g,
- 6 g,
- 418 mg.