Originally published in the June 2012 issue. Photo by Jodi Pudge.
Grilled Shrimp Salad
Oh, this salad? It's just a taste explosion of shrimp, corn, peppers, black beans and avocado. It's a great way to introduce little palates to seafood.
- 1 lb large shrimp , (frozen is fine, just let them thaw before cooking)
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- a couple grinds black pepper
- 3 cobs of corn
- 1 540 mL can black beans , drained and rinsed
- 1 red sweet pepper , or orange or yellow sweet pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 avocado , diced
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3 tbsp lime juice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 head Boston lettuce , chopped
- Peel shrimp and remove vein, if necessary. To devein, run a small, sharp knife lengthwise down the shrimp, making a shallow cut, then take out vein with your knife. In a bowl, mix vegetable oil, lime juice, soy sauce, sesame oil and garlic. Add shrimp and gently stir. Cover and refrigerate for about an hour.
- Place wooden skewers in a shallow dish and cover them with water; soak for at least 20 to 30 min.
- Heat your grill to medium-high. Husk the corn and put them on the lightly oiled grill for 15 to 20 min, turning every 3 to 5 min. Remove from heat once they begin to char. Let cool, then run a knife down each cob to slice off the kernels.
- Mix corn, beans, chopped peppers and cilantro in a bowl. Gently fold in the diced avocado. Whisk together oil, lime juice, salt, cumin and pepper. Pour over the bean mixture and toss.
- Take your shrimp out of the fridge and put 3 on each skewer. Go through the tail and again through the top so they lay flat on the grill. Discard excess marinade. Barbecue the shrimp for about 2 min on each side, until they’re bright pink. Remove from heat. Slide them off the skewers when slightly cooled. Arrange lettuce on a plate and pile the bean mixture on top. Place grilled shrimp over the bean salad and serve.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 25 g,
- 14 g,
- 801 mg.