Originally published in the January + February 2018 issue. Photo by Erik Putz.
Crispy Oven-Fried CalamariBy Chatelaine
Your favourite appetizer is easy to make at home. And this baked-not-fried version of calamari is ready for dunking in just 20 minutes.
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 1 ¼ cups panko bread crumbs
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs
- 1 ½ cups finely grated Parmesan
- ¾ tsp salt
- 450 g frozen calamari rings , thawed, patted dry
- dipping sauce, lemon wedges , for serving
- Position racks in top and bottom thirds of oven, then preheat to 450F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment.
- Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium. Add panko, stirring frequently, until toasted, about 5 min. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Place flour in a wide shallow dish. Beat eggs in a second wide shallow dish. Combine panko and Parmesan in a third wide shallow dish.
- Sprinkle calamari with salt, tossing to coat. In batches, coat calamari in flour, shaking off excess, then dip into egg mixture, turning to coat, then roll in panko mixture. Place on prepared baking sheets.
- Bake, flipping calamari and rotating sheets halfway through, until coating is crisp and calamari is just tender, 8 to 10 min.
- Serve calamari with dipping sauce and lemon wedges.
In a small bowl, stir together ¾ cup plain Greek yogurt, ¼ cup mayonnaise, and 1½ tbsp each capers (or, if you prefer, finely chopped pickle), chopped parsley and lemon juice.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 34 g,
- 23 g,
- 27 g,
- 1 g,
- 886 mg.