This article has not been rated yet.
4 to 4 servings
- 500 g beef flank steak
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1/4 tsp hot-pepper flakes
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 6 garlic cloves , minced
- 1 tbsp minced fresh ginger
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 1 large sweet onion , sliced
- 2 red sweet peppers , sliced
- 1 head leaf lettuce , separated, washed and patted dry
- Cut the beef down the middle with the grain to make two pieces. Cut each piece on a bias (diagonally) across the grain (this maximizes tenderness and prevents shrinkage) into thin strips. Put into re-sealable plastic bag.
- In bowl, whisk together soy sauce, sesame oil, chili flakes, brown sugar, garlic and ginger. Pour over meat into bag. Let marinate for 30 minutes and up to 1 day.
- In skillet, heat half of the oil over medium high heat. Add onions and peppers; cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Transfer to plate. Add remaining oil to pan and cook meat, just until browned, turning often, about 2 minutes. Add onions and peppers to pan, cooking just until heated through, about 2 minutes.
- To serve, roll up the beef mixture in the lettuce leaves.
- Tip: Serve with steamed rice for a more satisfying meal.
- Variations: Substitute pork or chicken for the beef for something a little different.
- Makes 4 servings.