, 4 cm thick (about 600 g), fat trimmed
, quartered and seeded
, cut into rounds and threaded onto skewers
, cut lengthwise
- Drizzle 1 tsp olive oil over steaks, then sprinkle with thyme, salt and pepper. Rub in to fully coat and let stand 10 min at room temperature.
- Heat barbecue on high. Grill steak for 2 min or until first side is seared. Turn steak over, turn heat down to medium-low and add quartered peppers and skewered onions (both brushed with 2 tsp olive oil) to the barbecue. Cook for 6 to 8 min (for medium rare) or until steak is cooked to desired degree of doneness and vegetables are tender.
- Let steak rest for 10 min, then slice against the grain. Cut peppers into bite-sized pieces and separate onion into rings.
- Brush the cut sides of the baguette with 1 tbsp olive oil, then grill for 1 to 2 min or until bread is toasted. Rub grilled side of bread with the cut side of a garlic clove to flavour.
- Mix mayonnaise and mustard and spread thinly over bread. Top with greens, steak, onions, peppers and remaining ciabatta. Slice into sections and serve.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 35 g,
- 28 g,
- 17 g,
- 3 g,
- 508 mg.
Add a little crumbled blue cheese to this sandwich for a grown-up flavour boost.
For a tender steak, slice against the grain, keeping your knife at a 90 angle to the natural lines in meat.
Originally published in the Today’s Parent June 2014 issue.