Originally published in the Today’s Parent September/October 2020 issue. Photo by Erik Putz.
Shrimp and vegetable noodle saladBy Chatelaine
This is a great "clean out the fridge" salad that can use up any crisp vegetables you have on hand.
- 200 g fine rice vermicelli noodles
- 3 tbsp thinly sliced ginger , cut into matchsticks
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup white or cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup sunflower or canola oil
- 2 tbsp sodium-reduced soy sauce
- 2 tsp sesame oil , (optional)
- 10 cherry tomatoes , quartered
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 340 g frozen cooked medium shrimp , thawed
- 2 cups sugar snap peas , thinly sliced
- chopped roasted unsalted almonds or peanuts , (optional)
- Break noodles into a large bowl. Cover with boiling water and stir until tender, about 5 min. Drain and rinse. Set aside.
- In same large bowl, whisk ginger, sugar, vinegar, oil, soy sauce and sesame oil (if using). Stir in tomatoes and onion and let stand 10 min. Add noodles, shrimp and snap peas, tossing to coat.
- Serve topped with almonds, if desired.
Garnish with green onion, fresh basil or mint, toasted sesame seeds or fried shallots.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 17 g,
- 36 g,
- 11 g,
- 2 g,
- 370 mg.