Kale Salad with Bacon and Dates
By Today's Parent
4 Adult Sized Servings
* PLUS Cooking time: 5 minutes
Recipe by Eshun Mott, Photo by Maya Visnyea
, (about 6 slices, chopped)
white wine vinegar
, (about 1 lb) stem and centre rib removed, cut into ribbons
thinly sliced red
, (about 4)
chopped flat leaf
- Cook bacon in a frying pan over medium heat for 5 min or until crispy. Remove to paper-towel-lined plate.
- Whisk together mustard, mayonnaise, white wine vinegar and honey. Drizzle in oil and whisk together. Season with pepper and set aside.
- Place kale in a bowl and knead or rub it through your hands for 1 to 2 min or until the leaves have softened and turned bright green.
- Toss kale with reserved dressing. Add onion, dates and parsley, and toss once more. Sprinkle with reserved bacon. Top servings with a poached egg if desired.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 8 g,
- 26 g,
- 16 g,
- 3 g,
- 294 mg.
How to Poach an Egg:
Crack each egg into a small bowl. Set aside. Fill a large shallow pot with water. Add 1 tbsp vinegar, and bring to a boil over high heat. Turn heat to low. Stir water with a spoon to create a slight “whirlpool” in the centre, and drop one egg at a time into the swirling water. Let eggs poach (water should just have tiny bubbles going from the bottom to top) for 3 to 4 min or until the whites have set and the eggs have fl oated to the surface. Remove with a slotted spoon and dab with a paper towel to remove moisture. Add a pinch of salt and pepper.