Slow Roasted Pork Shoulder
This slow roasted pork shoulder recipe uses minimum effort for maximum pay-off. Plus, it makes your house smell so good as it slowly cooks!
- 1 6 lb bone-in skinless pork shoulder blade roast , excess fat trimmed
- 1 tbsp whole coriander seeds
- 1 tbsp whole fennel seeds
- 1 tsp black peppercorns
- 1 tsp hot-pepper flakes
- 2 tbsp chopped garlic
- 1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp reserved fat , (from pan juices)
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp tomtao paste
- 1/2 tsp granulated sugar , (optional)
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Use a sharp knife to score fat on pork. Combine coriander, fennel, peppercorns and chili flakes in a mini-chop or coffee grinder, and process until coarsely ground. Transfer spices to a bowl and combine with garlic, salt and olive oil. Rub spices all over pork. Place in a Dutch oven or roasting pan.
- Roast pork for 25 min or until garlic on top of pork is golden and fat is beginning to colour. Drizzle lemon juice over pork and cover with a lid or several layers of foil. Reduce heat to 250°F and roast for 4½ hours or until pork is very tender and shreds easily with a fork.
- Transfer pork to a baking sheet and drain juices from Dutch oven into a measuring cup (you should have between 2 and 3 cups. If you don’t, add water). Skim fat, reserving 2 tbsp for making sauce. Turn temperature up to 400°F and return pork to oven for 15 to 20 min to crisp fat slightly. Remove and let rest for 15 min before thinly slicing about half of pork. Wrap remaining pork tightly in foil and refrigerate.
- While pork is resting, return reserved fat to Dutch oven and place over medium heat on stovetop. Add flour and cook, stirring, for 2 min or until lightly browned. Add pork juices and tomato paste, stirring constantly to incorporate. Bring gravy to a boil and cook for 5 min or until it has slightly reduced and coats a spoon. You should have about 1½ cups. Season with sugar, salt and pepper.
- Serve with gravy. Delicious with mashed sweet potatoes or buttered noodles.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 46 g,
- 4 g,
- 30 g,
- 1 g,
- 549 mg.