Rosemary and garlic roast chicken
Recipe by Eshun Mott
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp chopped garlic
- 2 tsp chopped rosemary
- 1 tsp chopped thyme
- 1/2 tsp grated lemon zest
- 1/2 tsp coarsely ground black papper
- 1 4 lb whole chicken
- 1 sprig rosemary
- 1 sprig thyme
- 1 head garlic , top 1/2-in. cut off
- Combine vinegar, oil, garlic, rosemary, thyme, lemon zest and pepper. Place chicken in a bowl or sealable bag and coat in marinade.
- Allow to marinate 1 hr at room temperature (or longer in the refrigerator, but bring to room temperature before cooking).
- Heat oven to 425F. Transfer chicken to a roasting pan breast side up. Put sprigs of rosemary and thyme in the cavity of the chicken and roast for 30 min or until it starts to turn golden.
- Turn oven down to 350F, place garlic in roasting pan, cut side down and continue to roast for 50 to 60 min or until chicken juices run clear.
- Let stand 5 min to allow juices to retract, then carve and serve with roasted garlic and defatted pan drippings.
- Reserve 1½ cups chicken and make Roast Chicken Stock from the bones and carcass for Fettuccine “Alfredo” if desired.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 31 g,
- 4 g,
- 18 g,
- 113 mg.