High-Speed Roast Chicken
This article has not been rated yet.
An honest-to-goodness roast chicken in one hour.
1.5- to 2-kg whole
- Preheat the oven to 450°F (230°C). Yes, really, that hot.
- Rinse the chicken well and dry it with paper towel. Place in a shallow baking dish or roasting pan. Cut one of the lemons in half and squeeze the juice from just one half into a small bowl. Stir in the squished garlic, salt, thyme and pepper. With a basting brush, brush this mixture all over the chicken – inside and out.
- Cut the remaining lemon into quarters, and cut the remaining half lemon in half. Stuff as many lemon pieces as possible into the chicken – they may not all fit.
- Now, place the chicken in the baking dish, breast side down. Don’t worry about all that fiddly trussing and whatnot – you don’t have to do it. Place in the oven and let roast for 20 minutes. After 20 minutes, turn the chicken over onto its back, brush with the juices from the bottom of the pan and continue roasting for 40 to 45 minutes, or until golden brown with crisp skin. The drumstick should move freely when you wiggle it.
- Done. Remove lemon chunks and discard before serving.